Services of Information security
Historically, information security (infosec) has been called a number of different things such as data security, information technology security, IT security, information assurance, computer security. Regardless of the definition, the information that is stored on the computers is always almost worth more than a computer that it runs on. Even though these terms have commonly been used interchangeably, they are insatiably linked. Thus, the characteristics of their information remain the same. Here we will discuss some information security services East Africa that must be protected.
1) Access Control: It is a security service that protects resources against unauthorized usage. Such resources may be end systems, such as servers and PCs, but also network systems, such as routers and switches as well as network links. Access control at a network level is often achieved using firewall:
2) Audit service: An audit is a service performed by independent specialists. Such specialists review and examine security-related information to ensure compliance with the accepted security policies and procedures. Examples of information that may be investigated are access logs, firewall logs and the output of intrusion detection systems. Nowadays banks and other organizations that hold sensitive data also stores network traces.
3) Authentication: It is a security service that protects against masquerade attacks. There are two forms of these services. The first form is peer form authentication, which is used whenever connections or associations can be established between both communicating parties. The second form is data origin authentication, which is used in connectionless environments.
4) Confidentiality: The confidentiality ensures that only authorized parties with sufficient privileges may view the information. The two of most commonly used to achieve confidentiality Encryption.
5) Data Integrity: Integrity ensures that the data stored on devices is correct and no unauthorized persons or malicious software has altered data. It is probably more critical than confidentiality or availability. Majors to protect integrity include arrow checking methods such as checksums and file hashing.
Basically, data integrity is a security service that protects against message modification, insertion, deletion or replay attacks. It relies on the inclusion of a Hash-based message authentication code. Such code is calculated by a hash algorithm by feeding it with the message contents as well as a secret key. Each message, therefore, includes a unique code. To detect insertion, deletion or replay, a sequence number must be added to each message. Data integrity is provided by using authentication algorithms.
6) Availability: Availability is pretty straightforward that means the network resource is readily accessible to authorized users. Otherwise, a secure computer must restrict access attempts by unauthorized users. It still must allow immediate access to authorized users. For instance, a banking customer should be able to check his balance in a timely manner.